TikTok Takeover planned for Christmas Day at BBC Radio 1
There will be 29 new presenters on BBC Radio 1 this Christmas in addition to a TikTok Takeover on Christmas Day.
Ten TikTok’ers will host half an hour each between 2pm and 6pm.
This is in addition to the station’s annual Christmas Presenter initiative from Boxing Day to New Year’s Day 2023
Fats Timbo, Watson D.Hirschfield, Anastasia Kingsnorth, Chewkz, George and Joe Baggs, Maddie Grace Jepson, Kyron Hamilton, Madeline Argy, Max Fosh and Max Balegde will take to the airwaves.
Radio 1’s TikTok Takeover schedule:
2pm – Maddie Grace Jepson and Kyron Hamilton
2.30pm – Max Fosh
3pm – Anastasia Kingsnorth
3.30pm – George and Joe Baggs
4pm – Chewkz
4.30pm – Madeline Argy
5pm – Max Balegde
5.30pm – Fats Timbo and Watson D.Hirschfield
Then, from Boxing Day until New Year’s Day, the station will be showcasing new and emerging talent by giving new DJs and presenters a once in a lifetime opportunity to host a show on Radio 1.
This year includes an array of talent, many of whom began their presenting journeys in student, local, community or hospital radio including; Issra Wiheba who presents the daily Drivetime show on London-based community station Westside, Angelle Joseph from BBC Radio Suffolk and Roesh from BBC Radio Manchester.
Also among the new presenters is partially sighted Chrissy Cameron, who was crowned ‘Best Presenter’ at this year’s Student Radio Awards. Chrissy currently presents on Spark Sunderland and will be taking over Radio 1’s iconic Future Sounds show.
Others include, 23-year-old Betty Douglas who has a blog where she discusses everything from her physical disability to love and relationships; and 22-year-old Bisola Otun who hosts her own YouTube show ‘Hood Veganism’.
And 27-year-old Jodie Bryant from Kingston, daughter of Nation Broadcasting’s Jason Bryant.
Aled Haydn Jones, Head of Radio 1, says: “Over the past few years Radio 1 has been dedicated to providing a platform for some of the UK’s most exciting, undiscovered radio presenters. I’m thrilled that this year we’re also able to make some room for new and emerging social media talent as I know our young audiences would love to hear a different side to their online heroes. I can’t wait to tune in over the festive period and hear how everyone does!”
Radio 1’s Christmas Takeover launched in 2019 as an initiative created by Head of BBC Radio 1, Aled Haydn Jones. To date, eight of the former guest presenters have landed permanent slots on Radio 1, most recently with Dean McCullough and Vicky Hawkesworth – from the 2020 search – being announced as the new presenters of the iconic afternoon 1pm – 3.30pm show.
The full list of Christmas Takeover presenters (in alphabetical order):
- Abbie Dewhurst, 29, from Grimsby (Radio 1’s Life Hacks)
- Alannah Mackenzie, 25, from Hamilton (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Angelle Joseph, 30, from Ipswich (Radio 1’s Indie Show and Future Artists)
- Betty Douglas, 23, from Bradford (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Bisola Otun, 22, from South London (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Chelsey Ward, 25, from Worksop (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Chrissy Cameron, 21, from South Tyneside (Radio 1’s Future Sounds)
- Connor Coates,29 from Belfast (Radio 1 Dance Anthems)
- Conor Knight, 27, from Essex (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Evanna Maxted, 23, from Belfast (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Ifan Davies, 28, from Tywyn (Radio 1’s Chillest Show)
- Issra Wiheba, 24, from West Sussex (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Jess Bays, 30, from Surrey (Radio 1’s Dance Party)
- Jodie Bryant, 27, from Kingston (Radio 1’s Future Pop)
- Jorja McAndrew, 25, from Edinburgh (Radio 1’s Power Down Playlist)
- Martha, 29, from Peckham (Annie Nightingale)
- Mary Mandefield, 28, from Welwyn Garden City (Radio 1’s Life Hacks)
- Melle Brown, 26, from Camden (Radio 1’s Future Dance)
- Nick Gibbons, 32, from Manchester (Radio 1’s Future Soul)
- Olivia Toplain, 25, from Glasgow (Radio 1 Relax)
- Olly Hilton, 20, from Loughborough, and Izzie Norwood, 22, from Huddersfield (The Official Chart on Radio 1)
- Oré Olukoga, 27, from Hackney (Radio 1 Anthems)
- Phoebe I-H, 29, from Glasgow (BBC Introducing on Radio 1 Dance)
- Roesh, 28, from Manchester (BBC Introducing on Radio 1)
- Sweetpea, 33, from South London (Radio 1’s Drum & Bass Show)
- Tara Kumar, 32, from Alice Springs, Australia (Radio 1’s Future Sounds)
- Tom Featherstone, 30, from Lincoln (Radio 1’s Rock Show)
- Tommy Gold, 24, from London (Benji B)